The Zulu Lounge
- Telephone 0131 466 8337
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat 8am–4pm; Sun 9am–4pm.
- Average price £6.50 soup and a sandwich (set lunch)
- Website www.thezululounge.com
Cosy South African café and mini-deli offering lunch and breakfast in Morningside.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
In the heart of Morningside, the Zulu Lounge dishes up breakfast, lunch and a variety of traybakes and sweet treats with a South African spin. Settle into its cosy interior and choose from an array of freshly made soups, salads and sandwiches, or try the South African speciality, the boerewors roll with tangy tomato-based chakalaka sauce and chutney. Go for the same at breakfast and add an egg for good measure. For a traditional treat, koeksister is a sweet syrupy donut, or select from a choice of cakes, such as Malteser caramel shortbread. Or try their inventive and tasty Zulushakes – milkshake favourites including vanilla and Oreo cookies, which can be jazzed up with some Skittles or Smarties. If you’re lucky enough to get the bench in the window, settle in on a high stool and watch the world go by.
- High point: Boerewors roll for breakfast or lunch
- Low point: Only a few high stools inside
- Notable dish: Boerewors roll
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 8
- Open since: 2007
Reviews & features
Six of the Best - Eating & Drinking around Morningside9 Jul 2009
The Canny Man’s 237 Morningside Road, 0131 447 1484 One of Edinburgh’s most divisive drinking establishments, patrons of Morningside landmark The Canny Man are greeted at the entrance by a brass plaque banning mobile phones, cameras and…