- Telephone 0131 220 2111
- Food served Mon–Thu & Sun noon–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun to 6.30pm.
- Average price £15.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.95
- Website www.irisedinburgh.co.uk
Thistle Street stalwart with a bright and modern approach, Iris makes friends and keeps them.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The gnocchi at Iris might just scoop the prize for prettiest dish in Edinburgh. Cubes of creamy goat’s cheese and bright winter squash top a mound of dark green and ruby red spinach and beetroot gnocchi. It’s a rainbow of colours that taste as good as it looks, and goes perfectly with a glass of soft and fruity sangiovese. Edinburgh’s Thistle Street provides competition aplenty, but Iris has been here since 2007 carving out and keeping a wee niche for herself. Décor is simple, streamlined and modern and the dependable à la carte is supplemented by a specials list that changes every three to four days. The kitchen sources well and gets the details right – the puff pastry wrapping a fine lamb loin topped with haggis is crisp, the duck crammed into a paper-thin spring roll is tasty, gooseberries make a pleasantly sharp foil for a crunchy crumble with vanilla bean ice-cream. This is the sort of reassuring place to duck into after a hard day or a long week, and come out with a smile on your face.
- High point: Seasonal specials and featured wines
- Low point: Not a lot of elbow room when busy
- Notable dish: Spinach and beetroot gnocchi with squash and goat's cheese
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 64
- Largest group: 64
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £16.90 per bottle