Wedgwood the Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 558 8737
- Seasonal times Closed for 3 weeks from new year's day.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Sun 12.30–3pm, 6–10pm.
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Website www.wedgwoodtherestaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Husband-and-wife team Paul and Lisa Wedgwood set out to create a restaurant that would be their own perfect night out. That personal vision inspires every aspect of Wedgwood, from the friendly, relaxed service (they never turn tables) to the inventive food and carefully sourced wine list. Chef Paul loves to experiment, to play with people’s expectations of a dish. This results in some wonderful culinary sleight of hand, such as savoury bread-and-butter pudding with fennel ice cream; a delicious interplay of taste, texture and temperature. Intriguing flavour combinations pepper the menu: how about some basil pesto with your venison or Caol Ila whisky in your butterscotch sauce? Meanwhile, wine is Lisa’s passion and she’s keen to share her discoveries, helping diners find the right pairings to complement Paul’s dishes. With 25 wines by the glass and reasonable mark-ups, it’s a great place to try something new. Despite its Royal Mile location, the restaurant is not at all touristy: the contemporary interior with its textured wallpaper and cavorting lamp shades is just as suited to a business lunch as a romantic tête-à-tête.
- High point: Imaginative cooking that does justice to the impeccably sourced ingredients
- Low point: Sometimes feels like there's one thing too many on the plate
- Notable dish: Lobster thermidor creme brulee
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz/ instrumental to match the tempo of the evening
- Capacity: 48
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Christmas Food Q&A: Paul Wedgwood – Wedgwood The Restaurant17 Nov 2015
Wedgwood chef tells us about his favourite food for the festive season
I'm planning a Christmas meal and want to offer a couple of unusual twists. What would you suggest? Make your canapés Christmas tree decorations - for example, confit duck bon bons wrapped in gold leaf.
Q&A: Paul Wedgwood – Wedgwood The Restaurant28 Oct 2014
Head Chef talks festive food as Christmas approaches
How does your restaurant change in look and atmosphere in December? What effect are you hoping for? We have minimal yet stylish decorations, all carefully chosen for a more winter theme rather then Christmas. What are the challenges in catering…
Wedgwood the Restaurant - review13 Dec 2007
Edinburgh is a tourist city, and for restaurants that’s both a blessing and a curse. Tourists are hundreds of thousands of extra diners appearing at their collective door each year; look too closely to them, however, and you’ll be disparaged for…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 11 reviews of Wedgwood the Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments