A Room in Leith
- Telephone 0131 554 7427
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1pm
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10.30am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 5.30–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–3.30pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Average price (set lunch); £20 (set evening meal)
- Website www.aroomin.co.uk
An established favourite: locals, office workers and tourists are drawn by solid Scottish cooking and the prospect of outdoor dining.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A Room in Leith and sister venue A Room in the West End stick firmly to a Scottish vibe, reflecting the Highland roots of the owners. However, the menu in Leith favours seafood. The restaurant is divided into two areas – the front section is more traditional in appearance while the rear is L-shaped and more modern. Sharing platters – meat, seafood and veggie – are popular choices, while à la carte carries a fixed price tag. The focus on simple use of good quality produce does not hamper the imagination on show in the kitchen. Starters feature an innovative offering in the form of a cheese pancake with chickpea, salsa and pesto that will satisfy more than vegetarian diners. Mains include plenty to satisfy carnivores, but the Shore front location means that seared sea bass with Shetland scallops, risotto and garlic toast is among the leading options. A selection of top notch Scottish cheeses is an excellent way to round off, while those seeking a sweeter finale could opt for a sumptuous chocolate cheesecake.
- High point: Sharing platters a perfect way to sample the menu
- Low point: Lunch now served in Teuchters Landing pub
- Notable dish: Double chocolate cheesecake
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Scottish pop
- Capacity: 60 (75 including outside terrace)
- Largest group: 40 / 70
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £15 per bottle
- BYOB: £4.50 for wine / £5.50 for fizz corkage