The Great Western Sandwich Co.
- Telephone 0141 334 6732
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–5.30pm; Sun 10am–5pm
- Average price £5.50 (set lunch)
A café and takeaway that elevates the humble sandwich, with an emphasis on fresh local produce.
This sandwich shop delivers over and above what its name might suggest. The menu features transcontinental flavours made with local ingredients, with sandwiches split into pork, beef, bird, veggie and fish. A number of classics such as BLTs and ham salad sandwiches are also available, as well as an all-day breakfast menu with burritos, full brekkies or avocados and poached eggs on toast. Food is creatively named, with sandwiches dedicated to Lee Perry, Sub Club and Suárez. The carnitas, an ode to Mexico, features high-quality pulled pork with avocado and sour cream, while the Jackie Chan is stuffed with soy and apple marinated chicken, house-made kimchi and sriracha. If either are not spicy enough for you, add some of their own hot sauce to the mix. All menu options are also available as salads – for the gluten or waistline conscious.
- High point: Fresh local produce
- Low point: Dance music at lunchtime
- Notable dish: Carnitas sandwich
- Delivery: Large / corporate deliveries only/£5
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Dance music - house and techno
- Capacity: 27
- Largest group: 27
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0