Gourmet Burger Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 260 9896
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.gbk.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Good value basic meals are hard to find on Edinburgh’s upmarket George Street, so weary shoppers and Book Festival visitors may want to head to Gourmet Burger Kitchen at the Charlotte Square end – especially if they have a couple of kids in tow. This is a chain burger joint that offers a little more than your typical fast-food outlet. Its basic interior is simple and modern and includes a peg letter board of all the classic burger choices and specials. The menu is not extensive, but includes a choice of beef, chicken, veggie and speciality choices (lamb, buffalo, wild boar) all of which can be dressed up as desired with various cheeses, bacon, avocado and a selection of freshly made dipping sauces. This would be a burger lover’s heaven if the results matched the promise, but the reality of overdone burgers, underdone fries and an overpowering homemade garlic mayo may disappoint. Still, it is good value and, with a decent selection of milkshakes to boot, it’s a favourite with kids.
- High point: A burger bonanza with every topping you could dream of
- Low point: Fast-food culture creates fast-food results
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Contemporary pop
- Capacity: 74
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle