Slurp at the Kirk by HAKAYATA
- Telephone 0131 220 5000
- Opening times Mon & Wed–Fri noon–3pm & 5.30–9pm; Sat noon–3.30pm & 5.30–9.30pm; Sun 12.30–8pm; closed Tues.
- Seasonal times Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–9.30pm; Sun 12.30–7.30pm until May. Open all day during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon & Wed–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–8.30pm; Sat noon–9.30pm; Sun 12.30–9.30pm. Closed Tue.
- Website www.slurpkirk.com
Cosy and contemporary Japanese spot in Edinburgh’s Old Town with a focus on ramen.
Overlooking Greyfriars Bobby, Slurp at the Kirk draws a steady crowd of students and tourists looking to fill themselves up on delicious ramen and affordable katsu curries. The Formica tables, large paper lanterns and ethereal Japanese music miss the atmospheric mark, but get a seat in the upstairs dining room where the view makes up for it. Take the edge off by choosing a Japanese cocktail, beer or whisky to accompany the handmade pork gyoza before diving into mains. While the sushi and sashimi are perfectly serviceable, it's the ramen and donburi which make a visit worthwhile. Tonkatsu translates to pork bones, which is the base for the house ramen. Pork trotters, heads and chicken bones are simmered for three days, creating a rich and sumptuous broth that's one of the best in the city and perfect for slurping with thin wheat noodles. Topped with thinly sliced chashu roast pork, earthy black mushrooms, and half a soft-boiled egg, it is gratifying and heavenly. For something different, try the eel don, its soft fatty flesh taking on the sweet soy glaze, making for a melt-in-the-mouth delight.
Japanese family run restaurant balancing modern and traditional flavors in the heart of Edinburgh's old town. The chef has gained Master of Ramen in Yokohama, Japan. This is the first place to serve authentic Ramen in Scotland. All day served curry special starts from £7.90. Loved by locals and visitors since 2007.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/old-town/tangs
- Private dining: Up to 32 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Instrumental
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2018 - name changed from Tang's to Slurp at the Kirk
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle
- BYOB: Free corkage