The Italian Caffè
- Telephone 0141 552 3186
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri noon–6.30pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £8.95/£12.95
- Website www.theitaliancaffe.co.uk
Sleek and stylish modern Italian, with a fantastic range of wines by the glass and enticing array of small dishes designed for sharing.
With its immaculately designed interior and animated open kitchen, the Italian Caffè – self-proclaimed first enoteca in Glasgow – is a sophisticated venue for a pre-theatre meal in the Merchant City. A rainbow of Italian wines racked up on the wall makes an elegant feature, and the lighting, large spacious booths and heavy glassware add up to make this a luxurious place to get to grips with an extensive wine list and enticing menu of ‘piccoli piatti’. The quality of cooking at this reputable restaurant in the hands of the Perella family (of Amore), who took over in 2016, hasn’t faltered, and food-lovers will love pairing wine (24 by the glass) with small plates of traditional Italian dishes. Spicy and tangy nduja and mushroom risotto is well cooked, with a touch of parmesan giving al dente arborio rice a rich gloss, and the ‘peasant’ dish, pasta e fagioli soup, is deliciously thick and creamy and highly seasoned, as it should be thanks to salty ham shank, with chunky pasta providing a nice contrast in texture.
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: pop music
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 16, Sun–Thu; 8, Fri/Sat
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £17 per bottle