- Telephone 0131 467 2671
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–4pm (breakfast until 11am). Closed Sat/Sun.
- Average price Sandwich plus £2 to add soup (lunch)
- Typical order Falafel or lamb meatball ‘slovlaki’ (£2.95)
Popular café close to Haymarket Station where lunchtime queues underline its popularity with passers-by and local office staff.
Cucina’s ownership may have changed but the same staff continue to satisfy appetites and sugar cravings from early morning until late afternoon. The lunchtime queues are evidence of the popularity of this establishment in an area where competition is intense. A cheery and efficient team keeps things flowing, serving up perennial favourites from a lengthy menu. Salads and sandwiches can be tailored to individual tastes, there’s a quiche of the day – sausage and bacon is one regular offering – made on the premises, or flavour-packed soups such as Thai chicken with coconut. Tables are usually snapped up by those with a little more time on their hands, and the window alcove is a comfy space with settees, newspapers and a shelf crammed with books which, together with cakes and traybakes made on the premises, accompanied by good coffee, offer an excuse to linger.
- High point: Something to suit all tastes
- Low point: Narrowing down the options
- Notable dish: Sandwiches made to suit the customer
- Delivery: To local offices, no charge; cakes for parties, etc.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 23
- Open since: 2006