- Telephone 0131 225 3297
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–10pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.elementedinburgh.co.uk
More than your typical Rose Street pub, Element exceeds expectations with a well-executed seasonal food menu and drinks selection.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
On Edinburgh's renowned pubbing strip, Element distinguishes itself with a laid-back atmosphere, typically appealing to an upmarket clientele. Post-work drinkers are drawn to the ever-growing selection of gins, recommended in the double shot house serve, while twelve hours later, the ultimate hangover-curing Bloody Mary sharing board eases in the weekends. The food menu is a highlight. Starters including potted rabbit and twice-baked Ayrshire of Dunlop cheese soufflé deliver unexpected finesse, whilst main courses like Barbary duck breast accompanied by crispy polenta, cavolo nero, shallot purée and cherry jus, scream everything but typical pub fare. These can be enjoyed in the warmly lit dining room, furnished with tartan cushions, stag horn chandeliers and a mural depicting all things quintessentially Scottish, or in the casual bar area in front of live rugby, golf or tennis – a relaxed environment suitable for whiling away the hours over the popular Sunday lunch
- High point: Excellent cooking displayed across a range of dishes
- Low point: Toilets could do with some attention
- Notable dish: Breaded lamb shank with rosemary tatare sauce
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul, funk, indie and easy listening tunes.
- Capacity: 105
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £18 per bottle
Reviews & features
Christmas Food Q&A: Viktor Huszti – Element20 Nov 2015
Top festive food tips from Brussel sprouts as healthy snacks to homemade chocolate truffles
The most undervalued vegetable at Christmas is without doubt Brussels sprouts! Most people hate or love them. I love them! They can be put in so many dishes, or enjoyed as a healthy snack!