- Telephone 0131 220 2273
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Sun noon–3pm; 5pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–11.30pm; Sun noon–2.30pm, 5–10.30pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.namastektm.co.uk
Indian and Nepalese restaurant serving authentic cuisine including a wide selection of vegetarian dishes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
In the student heartland of Forrest Road, Namaste Kathmandu showcases both Indian and Nepalese cuisine. Traditional Indian mainstays like dopiaza and aloo gobi are here but it's the more interesting Nepalese dishes that are worth stopping by for, such as the lamb bheda tona, marinated overnight for extra succulence in yoghurt and herbs. Vegetarian options aren't a footnote either; there's a decent selection of mains and starters in both cuisines. The momo dumplings are fried but light and elegantly presented, and the tiny cones of spiced, cumin-flecked poppadums are perfect to enjoy alongside your BYOB. Ideal for an impromptu midweek treat for two or dinner on the way home from town, it's unpretentious but still different enough to feel a bit special. The downstairs private dining room offers space for larger groups to enjoy themselves away from the main restaurant, perfect for birthdays, office parties and leaving dos.
- High point: Great service even when busy
- Low point: Toilets could do with a bit of TLC
- Notable dish: Vegetarian momo dumplings
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/old-town/namaste-kathmandu?day=today&rpos=80&time=1730
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nepalese music
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 40–50
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £15 per bottle
- BYOB: £2.50 corkage (wine only)