- Telephone 0131 220 2273
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Sun noon–3pm; 5pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–11.30pm; Sun noon–2.30pm, 5–10.30pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.namastektm.co.uk
Indian and Nepalese restaurant serving authentic cuisine including a wide selection of vegetarian dishes.
Bustling Namaste Kathmandu holds its own against the competition in this Old Town student and tourist hot spot, with an array of decent-quality Indian, Nepalese and seafood specials as well as the odd European dish for parties with a spice-hater in tow. The Nepalese specials are really where it’s at though, with a selection of mildly spiced favourites, such as perfectly formed steamed or fried momo dumplings filled with chicken or vegetables and accompanied by a creamy tomato and sesame sauce. Even better is a highly flavoured soft Nepalese chicken satay in a tangy peanut marinade. The meat is definitely a highlight here; don’t miss the bheda tona, a leg of lamb marinated overnight in herbs, yoghurt and spices which melts right off the bone and into your mouth. There’s a good selection of vegetarian dishes, including a decent black dahl. Thin and crispy garlic naan and decent pilau rice set everything off. Note the little booths at the back give smaller parties a bit of privacy from buoyant larger groups.
- High point: Well-cooked marinated Nepalese meat dishes
- Low point: Red brick wallpaper sets the decorative tone
- Notable dish: Behda tona - slow cooked leg of lamb
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/old-town/namaste-kathmandu?day=today&rpos=80&time=1730
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nepalese music
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 40–50
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £15 per bottle
- BYOB: £2.50 corkage (wine only)