Traditional Nepalese and North Indian restaurant dishing up comforting fare, with plenty of options for vegetarians.
Located in the shadow of Edinburgh University’s central campus, Namaste Kathmandu is a popular haunt for hungry academics and the occasional tourist looking to refuel on delicious Nepalese and South Indian food. The dining room is enthusiastically decorated with Nepalese objects, creating a homely, relaxed atmosphere and an intimate feel, despite the significant size of the space. The food is just as comforting; crispy fried momos are generously stuffed with vegetables and the sumptuous chicken satay is coated in the most delicious marinade. Each dish is beautifully presented, with artistic dashes of colourful sauce and food served on traditional crockery. The more unusual curries are worth exploring, particularly the methi murgh, a delightfully light curry spiced with fenugreek, and kukhura ko masu, a Nepalese curry with marinated chicken spiced with timur pepper. Be sure to order a kulcha stuffed with potato to mop it all up with – you won’t want to miss a morsel, and this naan-like bread is perhaps the most superlative wedge of stodge you’ll ever eat.
- Delivery: via Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Bollywood music
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £2.50 corkage (BYOB is not available during the month of August)