The Drill Hall Café
Wholesome, good-value home-cooking, which sustains and empowers the local community.
This repurposed drill hall is now home to creative spaces and a gem of a café which is about to celebrate its 10th year. As a community training café they aim to both feed and nurture the area, and it’s not just the ethos which is wholesome. Rolls from the Manna House are generously filled with a selection of well-sourced ingredients for both breakfast and lunch, while hot offerings change daily but are likely to include options like goulash and macaroni cheese. There’s plenty of choice for veggies and vegans and if you have other requirements, just ask. With reasonable prices, vintage china and a real community spirit, this social enterprise gives other cafés a run for their money. The accommodating nature of the space means dogs and children are welcome – but do note it’s a working environment so at times they will ask for noise to be kept to a minimum. Finally all that space is not only great for buggies, but means the venue is ideal for anyone with accessibility requirements.
- Delivery: £5
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff choice of radio station
- Live entertainment: 'Bruncheon' second Saturday of the month - music with themed brunch
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £15 per bottle