Café India Merchant City
- Telephone 0141 552 5115
- Opening times Noon–11.30pm.
- Food served Sun–Thu 12.15–11pm; Fri/Sat 12.15–11.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 4–6pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.cafeindiaglasgow.com
A modern Indian restaurant in the Merchant City, offering curry-based entertainment and a cook school alongside culinary favourites.
Tucked neatly away off the Trongate in a quieter neck of the Merchant City is this spacious Indian eatery with a twist. Despite subcontinental roots, world dishes are available as starters, too, with cuisines spanning countries and continents from Mexico and continental Europe to the United States and South-east Asia. For the traditionally minded, stick to pakora, or try tandoori lamb chops — well spiced, juicy, and fresh out the oven. Or try an aloo tikki starter with crunchy exterior and fluffy potato centre, a sweet chickpea sauce, and a welcome splash of raita to loosen things up. There are many tried-and-tested favourites too, all placed in the Scots-Indian section. Lamb kadai comes in a rich, onion-laden sauce with the crunch of peppers and an added punch from green chillies. The Chef’s Recommendations, meanwhile, feature dishes such as South Indian garlic chicken, served creamy with coconut milk, and brought together with curry leaves and black sesame seeds. Elsewhere, there’s a selection of desi farmhouse vegetarian dishes, as well as tandooris, kormas and European dishes to boot.
It is the consistent high standards at Café India that has earned us 15 national dining awards over the years, including the highly acclaimed Best Indian Restaurant in the UK (1997) and Best Top Thirty restaurant in the UK for 9 years running.
Café India’s Executive chef Manoj Barau who, with his wealth of experience is confident of surpassing all of Café India’s culinary achievements to date.
Here at Cafe India we offer authentic and delicious Indian food with exceptional service and the best quality ingredients every time.
We don't just offer lunch and dinner, we host curry karaoke parties for any event, private functions and even have our own cook school!
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: £1–£3 depending on distance
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Bollywood-ish
- Live entertainment: Karaoke nights Fri/Sat in Merchant Suite. Cook school and karaoke*
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 140
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle