- Telephone 0141 333 1881
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 4.30–7.30pm
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
Consistent and enduringly popular Cantonese restaurant with something for everyone.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Conveniently located within easy walking distance of Glasgow’s busiest streets, it’s easy to see why China Blue has carved out its own place in a competitive market. Though with just a small sign above the doorway that leads to the first-floor restaurant, it’d be easy to miss altogether. The interior may be a little dated but the place is busy with the industrious click of chopsticks, expertly wielded by the city’s Chinese community. There are treasures to be had for those who choose wisely, or simply invoke the wisdom of beaming staff who are ready to spring into action and guide you through a menu that’s packed with choice but slightly confusing for the casual diner. From traditional dishes such as minced pork and green beans, to old familiars like juicy roast duck with plum sauce, finding something tasty is straightforward. Juicy prawn satay skewers are rich but never overpowering and the lamb broth is full of deep, spicy flavour punctuated with crisp chunks of spring onion.
- High point: Warm and comforting lamb broth
- Low point: Drab dumplings
- Notable dish: Lamb broth
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chinese pop
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle