- Telephone 0141 552 2777
- Food served Tue/Wed 5–10pm; Thu noon–2pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 4–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Tue/Wed 5–6pm; Thu/Fri 2–pm; Sat 2–6pm; Sun 4–6pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.koolba.com
KoolBa in Merchant City is one of Glasgow's most reputable curryhouses. The décor is warm and modern, and space is used generously, with chunky wooden tables large enough to accommodate families, big groups or even just large appetites. The menu is an interesting combination of Persian and Indian cuisine, with starters including hummus with pitta bread, pooris and pakora. The chefs in the kitchen have achieved a real spice fusion which means diners can move between Persian and Indian options without it ever feeling incongruous. The selection of kebabs on offer as Persian mains are an understandable area of pride for the restaurant - large chunks of chicken or lamb are muddled with pepper and onion on skewers, marinated in an aromatic spice blend then charred. Indian options are pretty familiar (bhuna, biryani) although a commitment to fresh high-quality ingredients comes through in each dish. Wines have been seriously considered and staff are well informed on the dishes and drinks that go well together, and their beer selection has a huge variety of bottled global lagers.
- High point: Fusion dining
- Low point: Deciding between cuisines
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle