- Telephone 0131 557 0330
- Opening times Noon–1am.
- Seasonal times 3am drinks license during Edinburgh Festival (or special events)
- Bar open Mon–Fri 3pm–1am; Sat/Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 5–10.30pm; Sat/Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Average price Sat/Sun lunch offer only (single main course options). Evening à la carte available on request.; £25 (evening meal)
- Website www.monteithsrestaurant.co.uk
Sophisticated Royal Mile cocktail bar and kitchen with confidently composed modern Scottish cuisine and skilfully selected wine list.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
An inquisitive meander under the twinkling lights of its entrance willow arch reveals Monteiths, a delightful basement cocktail bar and kitchen. Timber and pastel tones combine with cleverly mismatched furniture and intimate lighting to generate a cosy sophisticated warmth. The impressive bar shakes a splendid cocktail, from a Speyside treacle Old Fashioned to a rhubarb and thyme negroni, all supported by a respectable range of regional whiskies and craft beers, and a skillfully selected wine list. The kitchen steps up to the plate with confidently composed and well-presented modern Scottish cuisine. Tender lamb rump with smoked artichoke and lamb bacon hits the mark, while spiced lentils and madeira jus add just the right notes to butter-roasted hake. Wonderfully rich Arbroath smokie risotto appears on a focused weekend lunch offer, alongside eggs benedict with brown butter hollandaise and crispy ham hough salad. Attracting its fair share of returning regulars and Royal Mile tourists, this is one of those venues where the kitchen, bar and friendly front of house appear to be working in perfect harmony.
- High point: Try the risotto, lamb rump and a glass of passori rosso veneto
- Low point: Blink and you’ll miss its entrance
- Notable dish: Arbroath smokie risotto or lamb rump
- Private dining: Up to 48 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Northern soul, a bit of funk
- Capacity: 48
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 33
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle