- Telephone 0131 557 0330
- Opening times Noon–1am.
- Seasonal times 3am drinks license during Edinburgh Festival (or special events)
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £21 (lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Website www.monteithsrestaurant.co.uk
Sophisticated underground cocktail bar and kitchen serving modern Scottish cuisine supported by a strong wine and cocktail offering.
Those of the taller persuasion may require a tilt of the head when entering the fairy-lit archway to this underground restaurant and bar. The interior is warm, with décor that reflects an eclectic mix of styles from the tartan banquettes to Scandi-chic animal skulls and fur-strewn chairs. Post-work suits prop up the bar while couples, groups and tourists sit next to each other in the cosy dining area. Generously portioned scallops are plump and juicy after only the briefest of visits to the pan. The lamp rump arrives atop the ubiquitous slate with two fist-sized portions delicately seasoned to let that meaty richness come to the fore. There is little need to chew this tender cut with texture provided by the biltong-styled lamb bacon. Although the dessert menu is strong, the rum’n’raisin old-fashioned is a thing of wonder. The deeply layered flavours provide a rich digestif which will send you home with a spring in your step – just watch your head on the way out.
- High point: Great cocktails and food – what’s not to love?
- Low point: With some portions erring toward modest, you may be left peckish
- Notable dish: The lamb rump (followed by rum’n’raisin old-fashioned)
- Private dining: Up to 48 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Northern soul
- Capacity: 48
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 33
- House wine: £20.50 per bottle