Tinto Tapas Bar
- Telephone 0141 636 6838
- Food served Mon–Fri 10am–10.30pm; Sat/Sun 9.30am–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Average price £5.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.50
- Website www.tintotapasbar.co.uk
Homespun take on tapas at the Southside branch of this creative small chain.
The little local that went global, well, regional at least. While six venues across the West of Scotland is hardly a market takeover, it’s a sign that Gordon Craig’s formula is certainly a hit with diners. The Battlefield original has a compact, comforting menu with traditional favourites like salt cod and Spanish tortilla. Livening things up are rarer treats like chistorra – a tasty regional chorizo-and rib-sticking braised goat stew sweetened with dates. The interior is lined with familiar reminders of rustic Spain – a mini tiled roof here, an ornate ceramic olive jug there – and the cosy space is packed most nights of the week. Staff buzz around with genuine warmth chatting to regulars; asking your server for a recommendation may result in an infectiously heartfelt homage to Catalonia. For dessert, accompanying chocolate fondue and churros with a slateful of fresh fruit almost seems to make it a healthy choice. Either way, the walk up past the historical Battlefield monument on the way home covers a multitude of calorific sins.
- High point: Knowledgeable, friendly staff
- Low point: Gypsy Kings on loop. On loop. On loop.
- Notable dish: Goat stew with dates and mint
The Tinto Tapas Bar is run by Proprietor Gordon Craig along with his staff of young (but experienced) waiters.
It is the only authentic Spanish Tapas Bar in the area with a seating capacity of 50. It offers an extensive range of dishes which when accompanied with a glass or better still a bottle of wine, of which they also offer a good selection, makes for a really enjoyable meal. It has been visited over the past few months by Joanna Bythman of the Sunday Herald, Alan Brown, Sunday Times and Ron McKenna, Saturday Herald all of whom gave it a an excellent review saying it was lively, authentic and well worth a visit.
It is ideally situated on the Battlefield Road, Shawlands with the bus route outside the door and Langside Station within walking distance. As it is close to Hampden Park it is ideal for a pre Concert/Match meal. It becomes very busy when a venue is on and it is advisable to book to save disappointment.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Gypsy Kings
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle