Bisque Bar & Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 622 8163
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–11pm.
- Food served Sun–Thu 9am–9pm; Fri/Sat 9am–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5pm–7pm
- Average price £16 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.bisquebrasserie.com
Privately-owned restaurant within chain hotel serving classic bistro fare.
Maybe it’s the way Bisque is set back from the road, or perhaps it’s that the sunken formal dining area feels refuge-like. Either way, first impressions of this Bruntsfield eatery are zen-like, albeit in a slightly corporate setting. Despite being housed in a Best Western Hotel, Bisque is privately owned. The capacious dinner menu includes the usual burgers, steaks, pasta and sandwiches, but there is evidence of careful sourcing such as produce from the owner’s orchard which is used to make a zingy spiced apple compote. The eponymous bisque is well-seasoned and plentiful, though purists might argue that pickled mushrooms are a puzzling accompaniment to a starter of chicken liver pate. A wild mushroom rigatoni uses them better: delightfully crispy fried mushrooms act as a foil to its creamy sauce, while the rib eye steak is cooked perfectly. New this year is a refurbished private dining room in a pretty Victorian conservatory, while the hidden beer garden remains an enduring classic. Eating in either space come summertime is recommended.
- High point: Soothing environment with slick service
- Low point: Dining space lacks character
- Notable dish: Mushroom rigatoni
- Private dining: Up to 70 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 65
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz / easy listening
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £19 per bottle