Bisque Bar & Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 622 8163
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu 9am–9pm; Fri/Sat 9am–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5pm–7pm
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.bisquebrasserie.com
Hotel restaurant serving classic bistro fare.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Part of the Bruntsfield Hotel, Bisque tries to maintain its own identity as a stand-alone restaurant, but only partially succeeds. It has its own entrance that leads through a wood-panelled bar with dining booths and TVs, down a few steps to the brasserie itself. Dining here, it’s a little too easy to imagine hotel guests sitting at the same tables for breakfast. Refreshing the slightly functional décor and lighting could do wonders. The seasonally changing menu boasts bistro staples like venison casserole and braised lamb shank with starters such as gravadlax, salmon fishcakes and Cullen skink. The Scotch beef all comes from the Borders, be it 8oz sirloin steaks or the six gourmet burgers, and there’s a decent, diverse wine list with plenty by the glass. In warmer months, Bisque’s best kept secret is alfresco dining on its sheltered patio in the early evening sun.
- High point: Dining alfresco on a summer evening
- Low point: The hotel-like ambience
- Notable dish: Smoked duck, fig and orange salad
- Private dining: 70-80
- No. overnight rooms: 65
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Amy Winehouse
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 27
- House wine: £18 per bottle