- Telephone 0141 552 9475
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 10am–9pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6.30pm
- Average price £15.95 (set lunch); £23.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.95
- Website www.cafegandolfi.com
Down-to-earth yet upmarket Merchant City seafood spot from long-established Gandolfi stable, serving high-quality seafood dishes and fabulous wine.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
In a similar manner to this smart Merchant City restaurant’s offerings, such as Skye langoustines grilled with garlic butter, this member of the Gandolfi group oozes sophistication via quality and simplicity. There’s a touch of New York about the big windows, suave champagne bar, wall of wine and comfortable leather bar stools. Delectable starters include a special of soft, hot crispy crab cakes with luscious wasabi mayonnaise, or Arbroath smokie flaked over fried potatoes with crunchy Stornoway black pudding croutons. Worthy of attention is the pan-blackened cod – the rich, full-bodied flavours of lentils in a beef jus with ham hough stand up beautifully to the huge hunk of succulent fish. Or keep it simple with delicious fat prawn and monkfish scampi, with skinny chips and beetroot slaw – at £20 it’s not the cheapest, but the ingredients justify the dent. A well-chosen wine list, smart and snappy service and great desserts, plus adjacent takeaway Fish to Go sharing the kitchen (lobster supper, anyone?) make Gandolfi Fish a must-visit for seafood lovers looking for an unpretentious yet smart and sophisticated vibe.
- High point: Delicious fish cooked with a difference
- Low point: Desserts too big to finish
- Notable dish: Pan roast cod with puy lentils, ham hough and beef jus
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Frank Sinatra
- Capacity: 64
- Largest group: 64
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle