Herald Café Bar
- Telephone 0141 287 2917
- Bar open Mon–Thu 9am–7.15pm; Fri/Sat 9am–4.15pm
- Food served Mon–Thu 9am–6pm; Fri/Sat 9am–3.30pm Closed Sun
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/…
The iconic library’s bar and café offering staple mains, served in an open, minimalist space ideal for study breaks and lunch meetings.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The quiet bustle of the Mitchell Library provides a tranquil place to think and work as well as dine in the dedicated café that provides a good range of lunch options. Substantial, fluffy omelettes can include fillings such as goat’s cheese and spring onions, while another popular choice is a baked potato; both provide plenty of fuel for intellectual energies. Those visiting a show or event housed in the well-equipped Mitchell theatre will appreciate the beer and wine selection at the evening bar. The cake selection deviates a little from the standard Encore catering offerings, including homemade cakes from a local supplier.
- High point: Excellent salted caramel cookies
- Low point: Stir-fry is a bit too saccharine
- Private dining: Up to 300 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: The Mitchell Theatre is a Celtic Connections and Aye Write venue
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £19 per bottle