The Caley Sample Room
- Telephone 0131 337 7204
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri 11–1am; Sat 10am–1am; Sun 10am–11pm
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat 10am–1am; Sun 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £18.75 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecaleysampleroom.co.uk
Homely, easy-going local with a hearty menu and some fantastic drinks options.
Out west in Shandon, the lively, faintly barn-like Caley Sample Room seems to be having quite a good time. Free from the corporate shackles of its brewery namesake, the bar explores the Scottish micro-brewing scene with enthusiasm, so guest taps range from generic Deuchars (tourists expect it), to more interesting offerings by the likes of Tempest and Fyne. The menu too shows some adventure, with ambitious specials (like hare loin wrapped in serrano ham) tempting alongside pub standards (fish and chips), and there's salmon hot-smoked in-house by a chef with time served at erstwhile Edinburgh fish favourite Creelers. And if that doesn't float your boat, the outstanding sticky toffee pudding surely will.
- High point: Choosing a drink – fantastic beer and wine selections
- Low point: It has a large capacity, so choose your moment to visit
- Notable dish: Sticky toffee pudding
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Occasional folk and roots club
- Capacity: 60 (+ 60 in bar)
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle