The Caley Sample Room
- Telephone 0131 337 7204
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat 10am–1am; Sun 10am–midnight.
- Seasonal times Hogmanay: open till 3am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat 10am–1am; Sun 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9.45pm; Sat/Sun 10am–9.25pm.
- Pre-theatre times Set lunch/dinner available Mon–Wed noon–9.45pm.
- Website www.thecaleysampleroom.co.uk
Homely, easy-going local with a hearty menu and some fantastic drinks options.
From the outside the Caley Sample Room doesn’t look like much but inside is light and airy and stylish. Owners Joy and Nick Madigan (who also own Moriarty’s on Lothian Road) took over in 2016 and have kept the high arched windows and tiles of what was once, in folklore, the tap room of the nearby Caledonian Brewery, adding a bare brick wall and a Farrow and Ball colour palette. Beer still prevails, with a focus on Scotland – choice brews like Edinburgh Gold and Punk IPA are on tap. Large groups jostle with families, couples on first dates and pals catching up: if you live nearby it would be easy to make it your local. The food is pub grub done well, with burgers, pies and Sunday roasts dominating. And there’s even a dog menu, including dog beer (alcohol free) and beef sticks. Yup. Dug heaven.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed - relaxed in the day, uptempo in the evening
- Live entertainment: Seasonal - live music in summer and at Christmas and a DJ at New Year
- Capacity: 80 seated, 160 total
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2006, the Madigans took over in April 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best dog-friendly pubs and cafés in Edinburgh21 May 2018
Where to grab some good grub with your dog by your side
As the number of hipster bars and cafés rises in Edinburgh, so too does the number of dog-friendly joints. We've picked out some of the best places to grab a pint and some food when you're out and about with your pooch.