- Telephone 0131 553 7333
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–6pm; Sat 10am–6pm; Sun 11am–4pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
- Website gaiadeliedinburgh.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
If you didn't know any better, the coastal tunes and cheery decor of Gaia, an Italian deli run by Nunzio Dragotta and his flock, could make you think you were having a meal in sunny Palermo. The majority of the patrons are Italian natives, adding to the illusion. For a quick lunch, grab one of the panini - try the mozzarella and homemade caponata version when it's available. Likewise, their pasta is homemade and the seafood diablo hits all the right spicy notes. Finishing the meal with a traditional canolo is the way to go – all of Gaia's baked goods and breads are produced by a Sicilian baker in town. Paired with the Italian imports they bring in to create true, authentic dishes, an affordable lunch here is hard to beat.
- High point: Italian imports for proper panini
- Low point: Downstairs toilet
- Notable dish: Caponata Panino
- Delivery: Free to local businesses. Charge VAT for delivery.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Italian music
- Capacity: 20 (6-8)
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2006
- BYOB: no charge corkage