- Telephone 0131 221 9997
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight Closed Mon.
- Seasonal times none
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12:30pm–midnight.
- Food served Tue-Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Sat noon– 9pm; Sun 12.30–5.30pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.cloistersbar.com
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
In this former church, beer culture isn’t so much of an interest as it is a religion. Those who are passionate about a pint should make a point of popping in – these guys know their art and were hosting Meet the Brewer events before it was fashionable. With a convivial atmosphere complete with board games, this is an ideal spot for a relaxed Sunday pint. Staff recommendations are chalked up beside the bar (usually including an offering from one of the rotational taps) but do chat to them for tips and tasters – they’re a friendly bunch. Local beer is a focus, with consistent offerings from Stewart Brewery in Loanhead and Williams Bros in Alloa. However, there are ever more intriguing options behind the evolving bar – check out their guest beers, house kegs and bottled world beers. In terms of scran, there’s the likes of mussels and chips or a juicy burger – and both meat and fish are sourced from long-standing local suppliers.
- High point: Top-notch service and a friendly atmosphere
- Low point: Feeling left out for being the only customer without a dog
- Notable dish: Smoked bacon and brie burger
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: nothing at all - no music!
- Live entertainment: Regular Meet the Brewer events
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.00 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Scottish Beer Festival
Cloisters Bar Established in 1995, and set in the historical former All Saints Parsonage, Cloisters has been a stalwart of the Edinburgh real ale scene for 20 years. This year's Scottish Beer Festival is bigger than ever, with over 140 beers, from over 70 breweries up and down Scotland. With carefully selected…
Wed 5 Aug
Thu 6 Aug
Fri 7 Aug
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of The Cloisters./5 from RSS feed of these comments