- Telephone 0131 221 9997
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight Closed Mon.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Tue-Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Sat noon– 9pm; Sun 12.30–5.30pm.
- Website www.cloistersbar.com
Quiet haven for lovers of quality beer, with a large range of whisky and an open fire to warm your toes by.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Funny old thing, fashion. Bars like The Cloisters have ticked along for years and have perhaps never quite been given the recognition they deserve for surfing the wave of the craft beer movement – if not starting it off in the first place. Here, big beards and fancy beer flights are swapped for a quiet expertise, a warm welcome and a rotating range of 19 cask and keg beers from brewers like Pilot, Cairngorms, Alchemy and Black Isle. There’s a nicely edited range of bottled beers from Europe and further afield, and a decent, locally sourced burger to boot. It’s an atmospheric spot for a quiet pint or two, especially when the Edinburgh rain lashes against the window and the open fire flickers invitingly inside.
- High point: The fire and the pint
- Low point: The pew seating isn't all that comfy
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Regular Meet the Brewer events
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.00 per bottle