- Telephone 0131 550 0850
- Bar open Sun–Tue 11am–11pm; Wed/Thu 11am–midnight, Fri/Sat 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–8.30pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.theorchardbar.co.uk
Classic pub dishing up good food and drinks to Canonmills locals and hungry office workers,
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Over the road from the Tanfield office complex and a few minutes along from the entrance to the Botanic Gardens, this pub goes for a classic, traditional feel, with a dark wood bar, pot plants and multicoloured stained-glass panels. The clientele is a mix of staff from nearby offices, maybe looking for a chicken and Ayrshire bacon ciabatta sandwich on their lunch hour, or a decompressing glass of wine after work; rugby fans watching the Six Nations games on the telly and trying out the Scottish and UK guest ales; or locals in at the weekend for Sunday roasts (£16.50) or a drawn-out meal of steak and merlot pie followed by the excellent ice-cream from Over Langshaw Farm in the Borders. Squashy couches in the back are good for lounging and catching up, or there are window seats with a street view for people watching.
- High point: Decent pub food in classic surroundings
- Low point: All eyes turn to the tellys on sports nights
- Notable dish: Wild boar, honey and mustard sausages with creamy mash, onion rings, roasted root vegetales and claret gravy
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 100 (6 outdoors)
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15 per bottle