Vittoria on the Bridge
- Telephone 0131 225 1740
- Seasonal times Festival: Fri/Sat 10am–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Tue 10am–10pm; Wed–Sat 10am–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–7pm; £19 for 3 courses and a drink.
- Website www.vittoriarestaurant.com
Family-friendly trattoria in a central Old Town location, with swanky black furnishings and an extremely wide menu.
The younger sibling to the old-timer Leith Walk Vittoria offers up more of the same Scottish-Italian fare in a buzzing central location on George IV Bridge. It’s a contemporary and grown-up setting, with the dark and capacious interior having a slight night-club feel. The menu is pretty much identical to its counterpart down the road, with all the good old favourites from pizza to pasta and fried calamari well-represented and designed to appeal to a broad, cross-generational crowd. Polpette make for an excellent start – smooth and tender meatballs in a bright, sweet sugo with garlicky bread. Mussels also arrive perfectly cooked in more of the same good tomato sauce. A classic fish and chips sees the fish a bit overcooked but the batter is as crisp you could wish for. Service is friendly and on-the-ball, indeed the whole place feels as if run by people who know what they are doing – as you would hope for a family-run business that has been doing its thing for nearly 50 years.
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 230
- Largest group: 110
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle