- Telephone 0141 333 1122
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat 10am–10.30pm; Sun 10am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri noon–7pm; Sat noon–3pm.
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.amaronerestaurant.co.uk/glasgow_amarone
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
To the uninitiated, Amarone might seem like a restaurant which comes alive in the summer. An outdoor terrace on Nelson Mandela Place means that it almost doubles in size during those months. Located just a stone’s throw from swarms of shoppers on Buchanan Street, it is always easy to be drawn in by those enjoying pizza and Pinot Grigio al fresco. Even in the colder seasons, Amarone is constantly busy. Black leather booth seating and dark wood interiors set the tone for the contemporary but traditional menu. Familiar Italian favourites join more adventurous creations, including a commendable use of seafood, both in pastas and as standalone mains. Sea bass arrives accompanied by saffron arborio rice, nicely seasoned, with chives and orange zest. The quality is extremely high across the board, with simple choices such as pizza from an extensive list or mozzarella fritta starter more than justifying their place. Amarone is a well-oiled machine, dishes arrive in a timely fashion and it never feels rushed. Efficient staff are warm and well informed, happy to go off-menu and mix up aperitifs to your specifications.
- High point: High-quality ingredients, well cooked
- Low point: Pre-theatre menu has limited vegetarian options
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: No
- Capacity: 125
- Largest group: 125
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Amarone./5 from RSS feed of these comments