- Telephone 0141 333 1122
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat 10am–10.30pm; Sun 10am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri noon–7pm; Sat noon–3pm.
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.amaronerestaurant.co.uk/glasgow_amarone
Slick, contemporary and stylish, Amarone serves a modern take on Italian cuisine in the city centre.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A sleek, modern-looking basement venue with a good mix of cosy nooks, booths and open tables, Amarone styles itself as the sophisticated elder sibling of the Di Maggio’s chain. The menu offers up a mix of pasta and pizza with some more expensive steak and fish options, which can sometimes feature on the pre-theatre menu. Starter portions are generous, hearty meatballs of pork and beef come in a sweet tomatoey sugo, but for sheer portion size the focaccia lucca cannot be beaten – a 12-inch thin bread base covered in cheese, red onion, pancetta and fried potato, pizza bianche-style. Pasta sauces steer clear of the ‘mince and tomatoes’ route, opting for pancetta, crumbled salsiccia, or in the mezze maniche con stracci, strips of steak, pink in middle, in a glossy red wine sauce that is deep and musky. Fish is served with a promised explosion of ingredients – pan-fried, the sea bream has dry white flaking flesh with a pleasing crisp to the edges. Tiramisù comes as a glass of coffee-flavoured cream, topped with the thinnest of biscuits, so soft it could almost be eaten through a straw.
- High point: Sophisticated setting
- Low point: Erratic portion size
- Notable dish: Capesante con tagliolini
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Dean Martin, Old Blue Eyes and a bit of jazz.
- Live entertainment: No
- Capacity: 125
- Largest group: 125
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
Enjoy special £15 and £25 menus at top Glasgow restaurants with Dining in the City
Dining in The City in support of The Prince & Princess of Wales Hospice offers foodies the chance to sample special set menus, priced at £15 or £25, at over 60 of Glasgow’s finest eateries.