- Telephone 0141 333 1122
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri noon–7pm; Sat noon–3pm.
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £18.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.amaronerestaurant.co.uk/glasgow_amarone
A relaxed yet sophisticated city centre restaurant with outstanding menus and an interesting wine list.
Pollo funghi e pancetta with its glistening, creamy, mushroom-infused sauce, slices of perfectly roasted chicken breast atop a small mountain of wild mushrooms and pancetta flanked by large crusty roast potatoes is but one of the substantial mains on Amarone’s excellent value three-course lunch and early-dining menu. Bookend this with a rich broccoli and gorgonzola soup and a perfectly wobbly white chocolate and buttermilk panacotta with raspberry coulis and sugared almonds, and at under £20 you have a gourmet bargain. Ideally situated a minute’s walk from Queen Street Station and the Royal Concert Hall, Amarone provides a relaxed yet sleek setting for lunch or dinner while the outside terrace is one of the best al fresco eating spots in the city centre. The wine list is also a source of true pleasure, specialising in Amarone della Valpolicella a range of dry fruity wines from the Veneto – ideal partners for the full range of Italian cuisine. Service is responsive and engaged and menus offer all that is traditionally Italian coupled with some international favourites.
- High point: Interesting and inventive dishes at reasonable prices
- Low point: Could be addictive
- Notable dish: Filetto d’ippiglosso - grilled halibut with lemon butter
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz and carefully selected contemporary classics
- Live entertainment: No
- Capacity: 125(80 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle