- Telephone 0141 248 2481
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Available Mon–Thu all evening, must be booked
- Average price £14.50 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.50
- Website www.piccolomondo.co.uk
Tuscan dishes and fine wines in elegant surroundings in this traditional family-run city centre restaurant, with set deals aplenty.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Traditional, even a little old-fashioned but all the better for it, this long-standing family-run restaurant perfectly inhabits its grand old building, complete inside with period features and elegant furnishings. Table bread accompanies the leather-bound menu, focaccia salt and crusty, drizzled with oil. If you can, book ahead and choose the celebration menu from a varied selection of set options: an aperitif – perhaps Kir Royal or prosecco, vodka and cranberry – three courses with a bottle of wine from a very impressive wine list, and an after-dinner liqueur with the coffee. Generosity with the drink isn’t a poor reflection on the food, however, which impresses throughout – starters such as potted prawns, served hot in a creamy tomato sauce or the stuffed mushrooms, huge and crispy, oozing mozzarella when cut into, are well balanced and delicious. Main courses are Tuscan traditionals, fettucine al ragù – rich, meaty pasta, the sauce shot through with spice from Italian sausage – or gigot of lamb, tender and juicy, served with crisp buttery vegetables and rosemary salt roast potatoes. Desserts are honest, indulgent and made in-house.
- High point: All-inclusive set menus a treat
- Low point: Meaty menu limited choice for vegetarians
- Notable dish: roast gigot of lamb Tuscany style
For style, quality and service, Piccolo Mondo is a perfect place to enjoy traditional and contemporary Italian specialities. Priding themselves on their hedonistic menus of superb choice and quality at genuine value for money prices, the restaurant offers a style full of flair and with an enthusiasm like no other. The cuisine is presented to you in a warm and relaxing ambience. The delicacy of the the culinary techniques, the luxury of the composition and the finest of wines are all complemented by the friendly nature of Piccolo Mondo's staff. You can expect to dine in comfortable surroundings and a very convivial atmosphere. The team will take care of you in every possible way and they look forward to seeing you.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 18-20
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: light opera
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 80-90
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle