- Telephone 0141 248 2481
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Available Mon–Thu all evening, must be booked
- Average price £21.50 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17.50
- Website www.piccolomondo.co.uk
Tuscan dishes and fine wines in elegant surroundings in this traditional family-run city centre restaurant, with set deals aplenty.
Having opened the original Piccolo Mondo, meaning small world, in Renfrew circa 1974, the Pierotti Brothers have been serving traditional Italian food to diners for over 40 years. Aiming at the higher end of the market, the dining room is suitably plush with ornate furnishings bathed in gold and red, intricate murals adorn the walls while elegant chandeliers allow the vast space to feel less cavernous. Try the ‘celebration menu’ – it includes a cocktail to start, a bottle of wine to share, three courses and a liqueur to finish – excellent value for money. From this menu, salsiccia con fagioli starts the meal with a Tuscan feel, chunks of meaty sausage laced with fennel and spice combine with a rich tomato sauce full of garlic and sage, borlotti beans add further texture and body to the dish. Seafood risotto, so often a disappointment is light and creamy, the rice holding its bite while king and tiger prawns are sweet and soft, a kick of brandy adds a luxurious touch. Both outfits offer a similar formula making them a good bet for city slickers and those further afield.
- High point: Great value menus served in chic surroundings
- Low point: Roast potatoes served beside pasta?
- Notable dish: Seafood risotto
For style, quality and service, Piccolo Mondo is a perfect place to enjoy traditional and contemporary Italian specialities. Priding themselves on their hedonistic menus of superb choice and quality at genuine value for money prices, the restaurant offers a style full of flair and with an enthusiasm like no other. The cuisine is presented to you in a warm and relaxing ambience. The delicacy of the the culinary techniques, the luxury of the composition and the finest of wines are all complemented by the friendly nature of Piccolo Mondo's staff. You can expect to dine in comfortable surroundings and a very convivial atmosphere. The team will take care of you in every possible way and they look forward to seeing you.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 18-20
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Opera
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 80-90
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £21.50 per bottle