This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 240 7197
- Seasonal times open til 3am during the Edinburgh festivals
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12noon-1am
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–9.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–7pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.tempus-edinburgh.co.uk
Commanding the main dining room of the George Hotel, Tempus keeps pace with its busy surroundings. Its rather grand setting is taken in stride by kilted waiters who deliver a fun and friendly service. Food is served throughout the day, a lighter selection of sandwiches and classic pub options giving way to greater adventure and more complex flavours in the evening. A balanced offering of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes should provide something for everyone. From burgers to Orkney steaks, shin of beef to roasted red mullet, or a young leek and chive polenta cake, enhanced by chargrilled vegetables, the simpler options provide the more consistent results. Still, the atmosphere is very jolly and the call of the cocktail shaker delivers a pleasing addition to the gastropub menu.
- No. overnight rooms: 249
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: not visited - research review
- Live entertainment: Acoustic guitar session; Sundays 3–6pm and Fridays 6pm-9pm
- Capacity: 135
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle