Spirit of Thai
Pretty Thai right in the heart of Edinburgh’s theatre land.
Spirit of Thai’s pretty, understated interior has a calming effect the moment you enter. Starters include the old favourite satay gai, skewers of tender chicken under a generous dousing of peanut sauce. Vegetarians need not be concerned by the initial apparent dearth of suitable options. There are dedicated sections further down the menu with choices including tom yam pakruam, a spicy hot and sour soup with a heavy hit of lemongrass. For mains, gaeng daeng pakruam (mixed vegetable red curry) possibly trumps phad krapao tha-lay, a medley of seafood stir-fried with basil leaves and chilli. Conveniently placed for the Traverse, Lyceum, Usher Hall and Filmhouse; if you’re planning a matinee, the three course set lunch is a good bet.
- High point: Typical Thai friendliness and welcome
- Low point: Calmness can stray into blandness
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Capacity: 32
- Largest group: 37
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle
- BYOB: £6 corkage