Le Marché Français
- Telephone 0131 221 1894
- Food served Mon–Thu 7am–5.30pm; Fri/Sat 7am–9.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £6.95/£8.95 (set lunch); £14.50 (evening meal)
Operating since 1998, Le Marché Français has a bit of everything for the keen Francophile – bakery, deli, shop and café.
Step out of Haymarket station, cross the road and enter the bright red frontage of Le Marché Français into your friendly neighbourhood bakery, deli, shop and café all in one. Operating since 1998, Le Marché has a bit of everything for the keen Francophile. Shelves are lined with an interesting range of French wines, while a simple daily menu features classics such as slowly casseroled confit de canard and roast potatoes, or beef bourguignon to tempt you to stay for lunch or weekend supper. The baked treats make having a sweet course tempting, be it the éclair au chocolat, filled with chocolate cream, the crème brûlée or, alternatively, the homemade crêpe maison with Grand Marnier, chocolate sauce or honey and lemon. While service is friendly, the venue has a slightly worn-in feeling and would benefit from a general refresh.
- High point: French classics on the menu
- Low point: Could use a bit of sprucing up
- Notable dish: Beef bourguignon
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £12.50 per bottle