- Telephone 0131 221 1155
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2pm, 5.30–10pm; Fri noon–2pm, 5–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–3pm, 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 5.30–6.30pm; Fri 5–6.30pm; Sat/Sun 1–3pm.
- Average price £10 (Mon–Thu); £14 (Fri–Sun); £21 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10 (Mon–Thu); £14 (Fri–Sun)
- Website www.chop-chop.co.uk
Still standing out from the crowd with its regional menu, Chop Chop is worth a visit for the dumplings alone.
By now, there can’t be many in Edinburgh unfamiliar with the Chop Chop approach, which eschews typical anglicised Chinese fare for authentic cuisine from the north-east of the country, served up in a variety of portion sizes. For the uninitiated though, that means delicious filled dumplings, either boiled (Jiao Zi) or fried (Guo Tie), a number of unusual but alluring vegetarian selections (like shredded potato salad with garlic, coriander and sesame oil) plus lashings of flavoured noodles. The takeaway service – which includes generous meal-deals and discounts for members – follows the same winning formula as the restaurants. You can order online or by phone and collect from either Haymarket or Leith branches; a delivery service from the latter has stuttered recently so check with the restaurants for confirmation that it's available.
Chop Chop aims to celebrate the varied regional specialities of Chinese cuisine. Food comes out as and when it’s ready and everyone is encouraged to dig in and share. Trusty chicken wings fried with Chinese peppercorns are crunchy and decent in size. Beef chow mein comes with hefty chunks of beef seasoned with ginger, spring onion and coriander, while the noodles in pork sauce are simple, yet satisfying. Cucumber salad provides a light and refreshing palate cleanser, but really Chop Chop’s success has been built upon the dumpling. Served boiled (jiao zi) or fried (guo tie), there are a number of different options to try, all enhanced by a diner-blended dipping sauce which you mix for yourself at the table.
- High point: Generous portions and value
- Low point: The setting is a bit like a school dining room
- Notable dish: Dumplings!
- Delivery: Delivery available through Deliveroo
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage (Corkage £15 for 4 bottles and £3 per bottle for 5 or more.)
Reviews & features
Chop Chop dumplings set for supermarket sales25 Feb 2008
Edinburgh restaurateur Roy King, who runs Chop Chop, has announced that the dumplings for which they are famous are now being produced for sale in Sainsbury's. He insisted on maintaining his policy of 'fresh ingredients only and no pre-cooking…