- Telephone 0141 353 3968
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–5pm; Sat 9am–5pm. Closed Sun Closed Sun
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.cafewander.com
Basement café offering an independent haven in the city centre, with a relaxed, intercontinental feel.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Home to the wanderer and the city-dweller alike, this rustic basement café feels pleasantly distant from the city centre, despite being smack in the middle of the hustling hoi polloi. Postcards pepper the walls, along with revolving displays of work from local artists, giving the café an enticing timeless, placeless feel. Café Wander deliberately has no WiFi – a rarity in this day and age that encourages visitors to switch off and soak up the relaxed atmosphere. The well-honed menu includes burgers, which come with generous helpings of fresh rocket and ripe cherry tomatoes, fresh juices, and a famously in-demand lentil soup. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, the chocolate brownies are delectably gooey and pudding-like, with a glossy crust on top and a sprinkle of icing sugar. This chilled-out café will make anyone feel at home.
- High point: Great location
- Low point: Not a place to sit and work
- Notable dish: Lentil soup
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: No bookings
- Open since: 2005