- Telephone 0141 221 0061
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon—10pm; Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £17.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.chinaskis.com
With dim lighting that makes everyone look good, this East Village-style speakeasy does good food and a bourbon range that’d make Bukowski proud.
While other bars blazon their name across the building and try to entice you in with A-boards, Chinaski's relies on reputation alone. Those who venture past the nameless blue frontage are rewarded with a dimly lit, East Village style speakeasy with stylish artworks and a glass gantry stacked with bourbon. Chinaski's menu is a compact affair but choosing is a challenge. Small plates include crispy chicken thighs served with a satay sauce that packs a pleasingly surprising spice, and a generous oven baked camembert that's subtly sweetened with honey and rosemary. Pub classics have a place on the menu but there always a flourish of originality. A pizza topped with mushrooms, feta and harissa cauliflower sounds bizarre but it delicious. Framed Charles Bukowski poems in the toilets, an entirely separate vegan menu and a hidden beer garden all add to the case for not needing a sign to pull in the crowds.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: An eclectic mix of funk, house, rock and disco
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri/ Sat from 9pm; Sun 5-10pm
- Capacity: 60 (20 inc beer garden)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best beer gardens in Glasgow14 May 2018
Soak up those rare days of sunshine on these beer terraces and gardens
When the sun's out there's nothing like a cold beverage and good food in the outdoors. From Caribbean hangouts to craft brewery terraces, here's our selection of Glasgow's best bars with al fresco options.
Beer Gardens in Glasgow1 Jun 2009
Summer is all about the great outdoors, so there’s nothing sweeter than enjoying a pint in the sunshine. Here’s our guide to the best beer gardens in Glasgow.