Itchycoo Bar & Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 473 6517
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7am–midnight; Sat 8.30am–1am; Sun 8.30am–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Average price (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Website www.radissonblu.co.uk
Informal and with a succinct menu of pub favourites, Itchycoo makes a convenient stop on the busy Royal Mile.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Sitting just beyond the main doors of the Radisson Blu hotel on the Royal Mile, Itchycoo makes a convenient place to pop in for a bite to eat or a break from seeing the sights. Informal, with a succinct menu of pub favourites, the restaurant and adjacent bar area is patronised by hotel residents, conference attendees and locals making use of the handy central venue. The menu offers few surprises but what it does, it does well. Crisp and tender calamari, sitting in their paper cone, are dipped in the accompanying aioli, but are slightly meagre in portion size, whereas Cullen skink is creamily ample. The Black Isle lamb rump and rib is wonderfully charred outside, pink inside but slightly swamped by its pool of surrounding garlic and broad bean risotto. The 10 oz ribeye ticks all the boxes of expectation, with chips crunchy and tomato sizzling. A perky lemon tart offers a pleasant end point to a filling meal.
- High point: Useful location for tourists and business people
- Low point: Ambience can feel a bit sterile
- Notable dish: Calamari
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 238
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: pop
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle