- Telephone 0141 847 0315
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–11.30pm; Sat 1pm–midnight, Sun 5-11.30pm.
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.thai-orchid.net
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
Thai Orchid with its deep purple lighting, the gently orchestral music and large photographs of Thailand, provides a welcome escape from Argyle Street. The clientele are largely out-of-towners on expenses, possibly from the business hotels nearby. There are many recognisible features of a Thai restaurant here – complimentary crackers, satay meat skewers, pad Thai rice noodles, green curry and a laminated pudding menu of pre-made ice-cream desserts – so there is a slight feeling that the whole venture is a bit of a box-ticking exercise. It is worth mulling over the menu for a while as there is a huge range of less familiar options available. Fried prawns in lemon and chilli is one, as is cherrie duck – crispy duck slices in a very sweet, sweet and sour cherry liqueur sauce. The extremely 'sticky rice' comes in a small woven serving basket to be scooped out – in a lump – on to the plate, while the quantity of noodles can be a bit daunting. Delicate jasmine tea is a better finish than something from the laminated pud menu.
- High point: Service and surroundings
- Low point: Overly sweet sauce
- Provides: Halal options
- Music on stereo: Ambient Thai music
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle