- Telephone 0141 339 7711
- Food served Sun–Thu 5–10.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–11pm. (Takeaway: Sun–Thu 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 5–11.30pm)
- Average price £22.50 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.balbirs.co.uk
Modern, elegant and time-honoured, Balbir’s offers traditional Indian food with a modern twist in the West End.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Balbir’s is an elegant example of what modern Indian cuisine is all about, with impressive, artistic décor bringing some wow factor to the West End curry scene, all backed up by the food on offer. Effortless, professional, and friendly service makes dining here comfortable, while the dazzling surroundings reaffirm that a curry out can feel like a special experience. But Balbir’s isn’t a stuffy affair, with the vast restaurant appealing to customers of all ages and backgrounds. Offering up specialist tastes made to order and to suit specific tastebuds, the best way to experience the kitchen’s skills is the banquet platter for two or more, where the chefs serve up a tasting menu, introducing diners to a wide variety of spicy flavours. Back on the more traditional menu, the fish pakora and bhatura chana are delicious starters, followed by the delightful Goanese fish curry or lamb rogan josh with accompaniments for complete satisfaction. And for those who like a bit of heat, why not try the chicken xacuti – a traditional Goanese curry with coconut, tamarind and sun-dried chilli which can be made as hot as you like – think extra, extra hot.
- High point: The full experience
- Low point: Not the cheapest curryhouse in town
- Notable dish: Chicken xacuti
- Delivery: £2-3 in local area only
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Live entertainment: Occasional jazz pianist
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 150
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 bottle wine, £2 beer, £8 fizz corkage