Time 4 Thai
- Telephone 0131 225 8822
- Seasonal times Open later during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30pm; Sun 1–11pm.
- Average price £11.80 (£16.95 4 courses); £24 (evening meal)
- Website www.time4thai.co.uk
New Town customers get a bit of luxury, miles away from trendy, low-key Thai street food.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Making the most of its elegant New Town townhouse setting, Time 4 Thai enjoys treating its customers to a bit of luxury and over-indulgence, the cool, neatly appointed design miles away from the low-key Thai street food venues elsewhere in town. Here deals are struck, alliances forged, assignations made, in the evenings and over the rather fun executive 4 course lunch menu. Engaging and unusual options nestle up again traditional favourites – deep savoury, shredded pork neck is joined by lightly seasoned chicken satay as a generous starter. Thai fish cakes reject the spongy texture so often presented and are soft and lush instead. A warm salad with sirloin or chicken breast drizzled with a spicy sauce and languishing with lemongrass and scallions makes a super interlude before facing up to rich mains. Stir fried duck with crispy basil leaves is lean and splendid, heady with the earthy flavour of duck. The sautéed cluster of king prawns paddles in an unctuous pool of red curry enriched with coconut cream that never overwhelms its delicate seafood. Breathe deep and enjoy being pampered.
- High point: Attention to detail throughout
- Low point: A bit pricey but worth it
- Notable dish: Stir-fried duck with crispy basil
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Thai music
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £7 corkage