- Telephone 0141 221 9251
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am, Sun noon–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–11pm
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–11pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 2–6pm (not December)
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.charcoals.co.uk
Cosy wee curry house smack bang in the city centre serving a selection of cult classics and traditional dishes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Renfield Street is far from the first place that springs to mind when looking for great places to eat in town. But head down towards Central Station and you’ll find the appealingly lit Charcoals. With top-notch customer service from the off, comfortable surroundings, and a fantastic buzz from the kitchen permeating the room, the boutique eatery is a place you’ll want to take your time in. Such is the warmth of the staff, don't be surprised to be afforded one or two additional starters free gratis – a simple gesture, but one that makes you feel like a VIP diner, but then every diner appears to be important here. An array of fine starters, including tandoori specials, offer a great introduction to the chef’s skills, with the succulent, delicate tastes of his chicken tikka special, or connoisseurs lamb – a great main attraction. Beautiful accompaniments are plenty, including seven styles of naan, and the masala popadums are a revelation. A fine place to seek out for a great dinner, and a welcome, spicy haven in the busy city centre.
- High point: Exceptional service
- Low point: Looking on to a very busy Renfield St
- Notable dish: Chef's chicken tikka special
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2004 (New management since 2011)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle