- Telephone 0141 221 9251
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am, Sun noon–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 2–5.45pm (not December).
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.charcoals.co.uk
Cracking wee curry house in the city centre, with great service for its selection of classic and traditional dishes.
These are hard times for restaurants yet Charcoals takes great pride in offering free food to Glasgow’s homeless on a weekly basis. This little place has a big heart. Coordinating all of this is owner Mohammed Ali who tirelessly circulates the compact dining area greeting regulars and newcomers with the same enthusiastic welcome. Awards adorn walls lined by hungry queues on weekend nights but dishes fly out of the kitchen at such remarkable speed no one seems to wait for long. From the humble, expertly seasoned pakora to the coriander-flecked naan there’s the kind of attention to detail that makes for great food. Lamb on the bone is desi home-cooking at its best with thick gravy begging for bread to mop it up. Chicken with paneer and peas also feels like it’s from the family recipe book – fresh and zesty with a subtle heat, it’s delightful down to the last forkful. With a wine list matching quality and value, hidden behind the twinkling lights is one of the city’s best and most authentic curry restaurants.
- Delivery: Deliveroo and Uber Eats
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Bollywood music
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2004 (new management since 2011)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best late dining in Glasgow31 May 2018
Here's where to get some grub after hours in Glasgow
Looking for some food to go with your late night tipple? Glasgow has a selection of bars and restaurants dedicated to serving up decent meals until the wee hours. From curries to kebabs, there's plenty to keep the late night revellers happy.