- Telephone 0141 221 9251
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am, Sun noon–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 2–5.45pm (not December).
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.charcoals.co.uk
Cracking wee curry house in the city centre, with great service for its selection of classic and traditional dishes.
There is something very cheerful about a meal at Charcoals. A gently buzzing little restaurant festooned by fairy lights, it seems to have its fair share of regulars, judging by the familiar greetings of the waiters. Although clearly committed to serving up a classic Indian meal, the staff also like to challenge your curry comfort zone by randomly treating you to free samples of lesser-ordered dishes. As you would expect from the name, the restaurant’s speciality is its tandoor oven, which is showcased in the subtle smokiness of the salmon tikka starter. A chef’s special is the lamb dopiaza, the tender, generous chunks of meat cooked with aplomb, the sauce revealing enough depth of flavour to give a truly layered savoury experience. The paneer makhani is as it should be — rich, creamy and fruity with enough zest to keep things interesting. Both the mango chutney and peshwari naan make for satisfying accompaniments. The restaurant’s various charity works, pictured on the walls, add to the warm glow. Overall, you are in safe hands, culinary-wise, in this cosy city centre curry spot.
- Delivery: Deliveroo and Uber Eats
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Bollywood music
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2004 (new management since 2011)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best late dining in Glasgow31 May 2018
Here's where to get some grub after hours in Glasgow
Looking for some food to go with your late night tipple? Glasgow has a selection of bars and restaurants dedicated to serving up decent meals until the wee hours. From curries to kebabs, there's plenty to keep the late night revellers happy.