- Telephone 0131 624 4666
- Seasonal times Festival: open till 10pm
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–9pm.
- Food served Sun–Thu 9am–4.30pm; Fri/Sat 9am–9pm
- Pre-theatre times Fri/Sat 5–9pm
- Average price £11 (lunch)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website digiorgios.co.uk
Smart and friendly family-run deli café adding a modern twist to traditional homemade Italian favourites.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
There’s a touch of Manhattan drama about this smart Italian deli café (formerly known as the Circle). Picture windows frame a long, narrow dining room with bare brick and stone walls rising to an elaborately corniced high ceiling. The food lives up to the setting, mixing traditional homemade Italian favourites with a touch of culinary theatre. A starter of crostini comes topped with earthy truffled mushrooms and a floral avocado pesto, while a main of ribbons of pasta with a pile of meatballs in a tangy tomato sauce delivers a punch of Sicilian flavours. The portions are generous and the hospitality is as warm and authentically Italian as the food. There are also burgers, ciabatta and salads, a tempting selection of homemade cakes which change daily and a full breakfast menu along with plenty of children’s options. Choose from the wine list or bring your own – on weekends the kitchen stays open till late.
- High point: Hot pasta smothered in silky avocado pesto
- Low point: Last orders come early during the week
- Notable dish: Meatballs in a Sicilian tomato sauce
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian radio stations
- Capacity: 35 (+12 outside)
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £16 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…