- Telephone 0141 334 5566
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
Authentic Korean street-style food packed with flavour, in a Finnieston diner packed with people and character.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With fermenting taking the culinary world by storm, Korean cuisine – with spicy kimchi (fermented vegetables, usually cabbage) at its heart – may well be rocking into popularity. But word is already out among many of the city’s Asian diners, and there are sometimes queues for a table at this tightly packed eatery in the heart of hip Finnieston. Many come for much-loved ddouk bok yi starters, translated as ‘fishcake’ but better described as a seafood gnocchi soup. Sae woo gu yi, or whole king prawns (served in shells), are challenging but a supply of napkins and a couple of bottles of Hite Korean beer make them more manageable. The hotpots are very popular, made with tofu, seafood or meat, but elsewhere on the menu a main dish of ccan pung ki (deep-fried chicken pieces with hot red chillies) is fiery and filling. It is also good to see Scottish fish among the grilled options – go deung ouh gu yi is a half mackerel simply fried in sea salt and served with sliced Korean radish and soy sauce, which goes very well with the side of kimchi. An interesting finish is a sweet, red aduki bean ice-cream.
- High point: Red bean ice-cream
- Low point: Service a little random at busy times
- Notable dish: Red bean ice-cream
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £11.50 per bottle
- BYOB: £5, £15 spirits, £2 beer corkage
Reviews & features
Naked ambition - Naked takeaway10 Sep 2009
Too often in Scotland home-delivered food is a substandard equivalent to anything you can cook yourself. A lukewarm pizza, luminous curry or MSG-packed sweet and sour chicken are the traditional, and often only, options. Convenient? From the depths of…