- Telephone 0141 334 5566
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £19 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Korean food shares techniques and traditions with other Asian cuisines, but it also offers some unique flavours. Shilla is the only restaurant in Glasgow to specialise in food from the peninsula, and if the large number of Korean students and visitors packing out this tiny and slightly ramshackle space is anything to go by, it’s serving the real thing. One of the key ingredients is gochujang, a fermented chilli paste with a rich, savoury, slightly sweet flavour that makes its way into everything from main-course ‘hot pot’ soups to dipping sauces and noodle dishes. Another is kimchee – preserved, fermented vegetables with lots of chilli and garlic. Several versions of this come as a complimentary appetiser while you peruse the menu for main courses featuring chargrilled beef ribs, deep-fried sea bass or steamed tofu and pork. To get 40 covers into a very limited space, Shilla relegates lone diners and couples to bar-style seating facing the street, and crams more folk into a diminutive mezzanine area. The result is quite a fun, buzzy atmosphere – but it’s not the most comfortable place in town.
- High point: A rare chance to try an exciting, relatively little-known cuisine
- Low point: Uncomfortable window seating
- Notable dish: Sam gae tang - whole baby chicken with ginseng
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £11.50 per bottle
- BYOB: £5, £15 spirits, £2 beer corkage
Reviews & features
Naked ambition - Naked takeaway10 Sep 2009
Too often in Scotland home-delivered food is a substandard equivalent to anything you can cook yourself. A lukewarm pizza, luminous curry or MSG-packed sweet and sour chicken are the traditional, and often only, options. Convenient? From the depths of…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of Shilla./5 from RSS feed of these comments