- Telephone 0131 553 5900
- Bar open Mon–Fri 2pm–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun 1pm–midnight.
- Website www.bodabar.com
Convivial Swedish-themed watering hole that’s hard to find fault with.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
As the slightly surprising gentrification of Leith Walk and particularly its bar scene gathers pace, this agreeably odd Swedish-themed bar has been a welcoming home from home for its happy customers for over a decade. There’s a strong emphasis on cocktails including a cocktail of the moment, but whisky drinkers aren’t ignored (with a corresponding malt of the moment) and all the usual tea and coffee options are available. The beer selection changes with the seasons, with more fruit beers in summer and porters in winter. Food, including takeaways, can be brought in since there’s no menu and the cosy back area can be booked gratis for an event or celebration. Themed quizzes have proved popular, with the Harry Potter evening – complete with their own take on the wizard world’s “butterbeer” – resulting in a feverish scramble for reservations.
- High point: Laid-back and quirky, ticks all the boxes for a friendly local
- Low point: Can be a little chilly when quiet
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled/upbeat/eclectic
- Live entertainment: Occasional live bands and DJs
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best bars in and around Leith3 Jun 2010
David Pollock suggests the finest locations for a festival beverage, or two