Sleek and stylish little Japanese restaurant catering for sashimi lovers as well as rice and noodle aficionados.
Getting a name as a reliable neighbourhood joint is no easy task. Location and presentation have got to be considered; it needs to be consistent, welcoming, affordable and tasty enough to get punters back. Going by this criteria, Sushiya on Dalry Road is pretty close to perfect. The few tables inside are supplemented by extra stools wherever there’s space – all of which get snapped up pretty quickly – and frequent visits from members of the Deliveroo team confirm its popularity. Intricate sushi platters are scattered across the tables among hearty servings of ramen, sweet teriyaki salmon rice bowls and dumplings that are admirably uniform. The diverse menu keeps a modest kitchen busy, and out front there’s more to see as sashimi is systematically prepared behind a counter of fresh fish. Full of texture, the black sesame seed ice-cream is a pleasant way to round off the meal. Enjoy each dish as it comes; admire the attention to detail and take comfort in the fact that the bill will most definitely warrant a return.
- High point: A speedy sushi fix
- Low point: Sake and other drink options are limited
- Notable dish: Grilled aubergine with miso sauce
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Asian music
- Capacity: 20
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle