The Stockbridge Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 226 6766
- Food served Tue–Thurs 7–9.30pm; Fri–Sun 6–9.30pm; closed Mon. Closed Mon.
- Average price (lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Website www.thestockbridgerestaurant.co.uk
Established favourite with locals who are drawn by top-notch Scottish cuisine and the added attraction of BYOB on Sundays.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
It’s tucked away at basement level in a side street off the main cobbled thoroughfare, but that hasn’t stopped the Stockbridge Restaurant harvesting numerous accolades in the 12 years since chef/owner Jason Gallagher took the helm. Countering the impact of dark, exposed brick, two large mirrors create a feeling of space and large prints of works by the Edinburgh colourists adorn the walls. The art extends to the kitchen, which delivers a stylish fixed price menu – with BYOB on Sundays replacing a substantial wine list categorised by style rather than region – and à la carte options. A delicate amuse bouche precedes starters such as discs of moist pork belly, cheeks and fillet, enhanced by diced black pudding and sweet potato purée. Mains could feature flavour-packed duck breast with confit leg, fondant potatoes, mushrooms and Savoy cabbage which showcase the chef’s skills. A pre-dessert comes before a twist on perennial favourites including banana tart tatin: six chunks of scorched fruit, served on end in a pastry case and accompanied by a butterscotch sauce that will satisfy even the sweetest tooth.
- High point: Clever presentation of traditional Scottish classics
- Low point: Lunchtime opening by prior arrangement only
- Notable dish: Pan fried venison loin with roasted potatoes,kale, celeriac purée, poached pear, chocolate oil and port wine sauce
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Instrumental
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 40 (may open for lunch for bookings of 6+)
- Open since: June 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £20.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £4 wine £5 fizz corkage (Sun evening only)