- Telephone 0131 225 6215
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £13.50 (lunch)
- Website www.urban-angel.co.uk
New Town favourite for all-day brunch, lunch specials, decent cakes and good coffee.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Relatively unassuming from the outside, Urban Angel nevertheless plays host to a constant stream of lunching and brunching regulars, thanks to a reputation now over ten years in the making. From a deli-style front of house into two basement rooms, it is a rabbit warren of inviting spaces for laid-back daytime dining. Wooden tables and a scattering of candles burning on cast-iron fireplaces make for a warm rustic vibe with hints of contemporary style. The same classic and contemporary balance is reflected in the menu. A brunch of kedgeree partners creamy smoked haddock alongside a medley of nutty lentils, quinoa and rice. Daily specials might include a steak sandwich topped with a colourful confetti of roast peppers and served with a generous pile of freshly cut chips. Desserts come in the form of an equally tempting line-up of cakes, such as a slice of lemon, poppy seed and thyme.
- High point: Well-sourced produce, exceptionally cooked
- Low point: Trying to save room for those cakes
- Notable dish: All-day brunch and fresh juices
- Private dining: 40 private dining
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £18 per bottle
Reviews & features
The List Eating & Drinking Guide Awards for 2013 announced18 Apr 2013
Winners of the annual Best Newcomer Awards in Glasgow and Edinburgh
With the publication of its Eating & Drinking Guide for 2013, The List announced the winners of its annual Best Newcomer Awards. Selected from restaurants opening in Edinburgh and Glasgow since April 2012, the winners are chosen by the guide's…
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…