- Telephone 0131 466 6660
- Seasonal times Open for lunch during Festival and Christmas
- Food served Mon–Sat 5–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–7pm
- Average price £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Mon–Thu £12.50; Fri/Sat £15
- Website www.hewatsedinburgh.com
It’s easy to see why Richard and Margaret Hewat’s restaurant has thrived for over a decade despite the competitive nature of Edinburgh’s dining scene. With its dark red walls, twinkling chandeliers and linen tablecloths, it’s posh enough for a romantic or special night out, yet still relaxed enough to present a mid-week alternative to cooking. Offering affordable early-bird, pre-theatre and mid-week menus, it attracts a mix of tourists from Southside guest houses, local couples and groups out for a catch-up meal. The menu, with a half-dozen options each course, should be broad enough to keep most folk happy. For starters, try a rich, comforting Cullen skink with mussels, or some Stornoway black pudding with haggis risotto and pancetta. Main courses might include steak with peppercorn sauce, green chicken curry or herb-crusted fillet of coley. It’s worth leaving room for the homemade desserts, as a caramelised lemon tart provides a lovely, well-balanced finish to a meal. There’s plenty of attention to detail (they bake their own bread, oatcakes and other accompaniments) and the warm and personal service ensures diners feel at ease.
- High point: Owners who take real pride in delivering great food and a welcoming atmosphere
- Low point: Few vegetarian options
- Notable dish: Roast tenderloin of boar with braised pork belly, apple compote & crackling, pulled pork mash, braised savoy cabbage with chorizo
A well-established restaurant in Edinburgh since 2005, family-run Hewat's seamlessly blends Scottish produce and elegant French cooking techniques. In the striking dining room, glittering chandeliers and ruby-red furnishings are swirled throughout, while a plush, baroque-style private area can be cordoned off with thick drapes. Speciality dishes include Aberdeen Angus beef, and fresh Scottish seafood.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Capacity: 66
- Largest group: 66
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle