The Baked Potato Shop
- Telephone 0131 225 7572
- Seasonal times Open until 8pm from March/April, for the warmer months. Closes at 11pm from July to September.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–6pm. (First batch of potatoes roasted by 11am.)
- Average price Medium salad tray & juice £4.99. Small potato, one filling & juice £4.99 (set lunch); £6.50 (evening meal)
- Typical order Medium baked potato with chilli (£3.60)
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
If a giant ever took a train into Waverley, or took a job scaring tourists on Royal Mile tours, he'd almost certainly eat his lunch at the Baked Potato Shop on Cockburn Street, because the portions are ginormous. But he couldn't fit inside this tiny, six-seat cafe, so he'd have to bellow his order through the door: 'Fee fi fo fum, I smell the butter of a fluffy, steaming, crispy jacket potato with curried corn.' He'd find no blood of an Englishman, or any living creature, here: everything is vegan or vegetarian. To explain the portions: a 'small' is one massive potato, a 'medium' is two massive potatoes, a £5.70 'large' is … well, you get it. The fillings are singularly toothsome: gazpacho, spicy hummus, fruity coleslaw, trusty baked beans and cheese, and so on. Salads such as quinoa, beetroot and celery can go in a potato, or separately on a tray. There are cakes on offer too, and everything tastes fresh and wholesome, whatever your appetite.
- High point: Caring about animals has never been so reasonably priced
- Low point: Guilt about wasting the life of a potato you can't finish
- Notable dish: Baked potatoes!
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 6
- Open since: 1983
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of The Baked Potato Shop./5 from RSS feed of these comments