The Baked Potato Shop
- Telephone 0131 225 7572
- Seasonal times July–September: open until 11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–8pm. (Potatoes from 11am.)
- Average price Medium salad tray & juice £4.99. Small potato, one filling & juice £4.99. (set lunch); £8 (evening meal)
- Typical order Medium baked potato with chilli (£3.60)
With regular queues out the door, this vegan fast food joint has been filling tatties and tums since 1983.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Just like stepping into Santa’s workshop, it’s as if the little potato helpers in this cosy Cockburn Street nook have been working day and night to cook the piles of baked tatties here. As a vegan joint, the classic beef chilli and tuna mayo fillings are a no-go, but normal or garlic butter potatoes can be loaded with cheesy baked beans, (soya) egg mayo or healthy quinoa and avocado salads. Don’t be fooled thinking you can pop in for a light bite: a small potato is essentially a large, a medium is a big ’un-and-a-half. And a large? Well, kudos to anyone who manages a large. You can replace spuds with bread rolls or salad, and finish it all of with homemade vegan cakes and traybakes. It's a lunchtime fave for many, but with only one small corner table, sitting-in on busy days isn't likely.
- High point: It runs like clockwork, so there should only be a short wait for your tattie
- Low point: Potatoes aren't always cooked right through
- Notable dish: Veggie haggis baked tattie
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Radio
- Capacity: 6
- Open since: 1983
Reviews & features
Things you absolutely must do in Edinburgh before you leave22 Jul 2016
Here for the Fringe? Don’t go home without eating well, drinking poorly and learning the local’s ways
If it’s not a right-of-passage then it should be. Grab some tonic, wait for the sunrise, and clamber up Arthur’s Seat (but, you know, be careful). The view is well worth it and the mind-blowing colours the sky turns are a great backdrop for some…